Suggest treatment for severe flank and leg pain

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Good Morning, I am asking a question for my father. He has a cardiac hx with stent placement 3yr ago. Has HTN. He recently fainted resulting in a fall from and standing position he did not hit his head. Prior to the fall he had severe right flank pain with swelling of that muscle noted. the last fall he had severe leg pain and fainted. He has fainted 2-3 times in the past (not sure if pain prior to the falls) but once out of the boat while he was fishing and came to under the water. he K was found to be 134. They ordered a halter for his heart and suggested a MRI of the spine. CT head and chest X-ray was negative. I think he needs to see neurology. Please advise. Thank you for you time.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ok

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thank you for posting your question on HealthcareMagic.
The symptoms which you have described may have many reasons one of which could be arrhythmia which is found out with Holter monitoring. What is the report ?
The other cause which Iam suspecting is postural drop in blood pressure .I would recommend you to get his blood pressure tested in lying down ,sitting and standing position if there is a difference he will need to be evaluated in tilt table to rule out autonomic disorders.
However If all this is negative he may need a CT brain to rule out any neurological event .
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T