Suggest treatment for severe fever in a child while on Calpol

Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: My daughter got her 6 in 1 vaccinations last friday. She is 2 months. She had a cet bad reaction later on that evening. Her fever spiked to 38.6 celsius and she had a seizure. I had given her calpol initiallywhen temp. Had started to go up, it didnt do anygood!
Will she have this reaction for the rest of her vaccinations? Another due at 4 months..
Thank you..
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Vaccinations

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question.
It is unlikely that this will happen again. A patients response to a vaccine at any given time is not an indicator of what might or might not happen at future vaccines. But it is not impossible.
The vaccinations did not cause the seizure, but they did cause the fever that caused the aeizure. To avoid this, you should consider administering the calpol approximately 30 minutes prior to the vaccines. This is something you may want to discuss with your doctor. This could help prevent any fever that might induce a seizure.