question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe fever, headache and neck pain

Posted on Tue, 19 Jul 2016
Question: 3&1/2 yr old with fever 100 to 101 for 3 days,along with c/o headache.The first day c/o neck pain too but that has stopped now Also has 3 spots on earlobe which appeared to look like bug bites.Saw physician but no answers,directed to monitor
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil (46 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Signs of meningism should be elicited and if there is suspicion then workup should be done for meningitis. Fever, headache and neck stiffness accompanied by photophobia are classical signs of acute meningitis. Fundoscopy can be done to look for possible papilledema. CT brain can be advised with contrast to look for any space occupying lesion or meningeal enhancement. CSF (cerebrospinal Fluid) needs to be tapped and examined through a lumbar puncture procedure. This can be done in light of clinical suspicion only. The 1st dose of antibiotics should not be delayed even if the investigations are not available. If the above are not suspected then watchful waiting with NSAIDs or anti pyretics can be given if the patient is clinically stable and a viral infection is suspected.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil