• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe fever and cold in an infant

Posted on Sat, 28 May 2016 in Child Health
Question: My 3 month old baby is passing a mix of green poop and yellow poop. I did not have enough breast milk so feeding formula along with bm. He is given Nan pro 1 from birth. There was no problem in the initial weeks but in the last 2/3 weeks he passes dark green poop. He also seems to have cold. No mucous is seen but his breathing seems forced when he is asleep. It makes sounds- not snoring but as if he has stuffy nose. The cold seems to be there since his birth. Otherwise this green poop and cold, he seems to be alert and playful. He weighted 2.5 kg at birth, now he is 4.5 kg. Please advise what to do. Can I continue with the formula and what should I do about the cold.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Greenish poop is not a cause for concern.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Let me assure you that breast milk is the best feed for a baby and its production is dependent on the demand of the baby. Hungrier the baby, more vigorous is the suck, and more the sucking, more is the amount of breast milk produced. If you give external feeds, the demand of the baby automatically comes down and so does the breast milk production. Switching back exclusively to breast milk will automatically increase the breast milk production. If the baby passes urine more than 6 times over a period of 24 hours, you can assume the feeding to be adequate.

Breast milk also takes care of immunity against common ailments like cough and cold, and diarrhea. So, automatically your worries would be reduced. For a baby of this age, it is normal to pass stool several times a day or even after each feed. It is also normal to pass green stool or a combination of yellow stool. The green colour occurs due to rapid transit through large intestine where the bile pigments do not get adequate time to convert to the yellow colour of stool.

If the child seems to have nasal blockage, applying saline drops (like Nasoclear) in each nostril should take care of it. So long as the baby is active and playful, you need not worry.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Thank you for your assurance.

I have tried to exclusively breastfeed my boy, but he never feeds fully and usually unlatches in 2 -3 mins and starts crying . My breast milk was late in coming- after 10 days I had a cesarean. He was bottle fed meanwhile. I dont know if its the reason that he is so reluctant to feed for long. I went without formula supplement for 2-3 days, he simply ate less and cried more.It was sad to see my child crying himself to sleep and waking up in about every 30 mins, he seemed hungry clearly but still refused to suck for long. I tried pumping as well to feed him breast milk. I could not get more than 2- 2.5 ounce at a time, that too when I pump in 5-6 hours interval.I was worried that he is not getting enough so I had to supplement.
I am indeed concerned that I am not able to exclusively breastfeed him.Any more suggestion for me so that I can breastfeed him properly? Or any way to increase breast milk ? I was prescribed Reglan once though I am afraid to take it fearing side effects. I am taking promolact granules, but dont think its helping.
Also if I have to use the formula which brand should I get?

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try frequently expressing breast milk using a breast pump

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
I understand the fact that the flow of breast milk in your case is low. The child therefore has to strive hard and hence is giving up early. Proper latching on the breast is very important. The entire areola (the dark zone surrounding the nipple) has to be put in the mouth of the baby (not just the nipple alone). If you give the child a way out by giving formula feeds, the child will not suck adequately and breast milk will not be produced. Thus you need not leave no option for the child other than to suck. You might need to bear the crankiness for a few days but then it will settle. Expressing breast milk is also very important. It serves as a substitute for the sucking. Use breast pump for the same.

Reglan is very safe and can be used without worries. But the expression of breast milk (be it due to the child sucking or by manual expression) is the key to increasing the flow. You may stop Promolact granules but increase upon your fluid consumption including milk consumption.

Most formula milks are cow milk based and hence difficult for the child to digest. If still required, any age appropriate formula would be fine.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician