Suggest treatment for severe feet cramps

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Mon, 30 Jan 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: About a week ago I have been having problems with cramping. At night the arches of my feet cramp. My hamstring and most annoying, my thumbs, during the day. Also I don't know if it related or not but my left hand shakes sometimes.
Any idea? XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
?Probably all related to alcohol withdrawal sir, I am sure you can overcome

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. You are aware that being a past heavy drinker, your body was used to having something as harmful as alcohol administered into the system on a regular basis, and when this was discontinued a number of changes would be expected.

Let me list a few points for you sir:

+Alcohol causing muscle weakness and damage which is a known fact, and this could possibly be showing now after discontinuation of the alcohol

+Make sure you drink plenty of fluids, in order to rule out a hydration issue. Most individuals who were chronic alcoholics or heavy drinker found their daily fluid requirement in the form of alcohol, and once they discontinue alcohol they decide to stop drinking fluids all together, which can result in dehydration, so make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids.

+If you are not hypertensive, then make sure you increase your salt intake a tad bit, the extra salt may also help your muscles

+In most cases, the muscle pain should subside in a week or so, so do not worry

+The tremor is a very common alcohol withdrawal symptom which may last a while sir, if this worries you too much, you can speak to your doctor about helping you with its management

+Make sure you also initiated multivitamins which will help contribute towards improvement of your vascular health and in turn help your muscular health as well

I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee