• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe fatigue and high cholesterol levels

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Experiencing a lot of fatigue. Take Celexa, have taken it for a long time, 40 grams... Recently had blood tests came out well except Cholesterol was 255 with 85 good Cholesterol. Tiredness has been going on a while now...
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
If fatigue is persistent then drugs can be changed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking

I can understand your concern. Celexa 40 mg could result in drowsiness and thus fatigue. Even if on this dose the fatigue is persistent then you should be checked for hypothyroidism and vitamin B12 deficiency. Hypothyroidism is a known cause of fatigue in depressed individuals. A lot of patients of depression and anxiety have associated vitamin B12 deficiency. So levels of B12 and thyroid hormones should be checked.

If these comes normal then the drug can be changed. Lexapro or Escitalopram can be used. The drug in relatively more activating. Bupropion, Fluoxetine etc are other options. You can talk with your doctor for these drugs. Regular use of either of these drugs should help you to come out of fatigue and tiredness.

Thanks and Take care
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist