Suggest treatment for severe fatigue and black stool

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: As of late I have been feeling fatigue and tired all the time. This morning, I observed my stools to be black.
This is very alarming to me. My email is below. Thank you for any help.
Rose Blome
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do a full blood count.

Detailed Answer:

With fatigue and dark stools, I fear that you might have been loosing blood in the upper part of your digestive system. I suggest that you get a fecal occult blood test and a full blood count to evaluate your blood level. If hemoglobin level is low and the fecal occult blood test positive, then follow up with gastroenterologist to evaluate the upper intestinal tract and look for possible bleeding ulcers which require special attention.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me for more information and clarifications if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad