• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe exhaustion while on Lexapro

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: On lexapro for 3 weeks. Started at 5mg then went to 7.5. Have been more anxious and paranoid and exhausted. This happened once before when I was on and had to come off. Shpuld this be happening
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think there is need to review diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

It is uncommon to have increased anxiety after three weeks of lexapro use and I think there is need to review diagnosis. It is possible that you were wrongly diagnosed with anxiety depression resulting in prescription of lexapro and subsequent paranoid ideation.

In case this has been already reviewed SNRI should be used instead of SSRI (lexapro) as it is possible that same effect can be seen with other SSRIs. I am keeping this possibility high as there was earlier similar experience.

I hope this assists you.
If you have more questions I will be glad to assist you further.
If you do not have more questions, please close the discussion and if possible rate the answer for my future patients.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 4 minutes later
Thanks very much. What is Snri and paranoid ideation. I am going to start tapering off today. It makes me feel jumpy and tired
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

The SNRI stands for Selectrive serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. It is class of medications which include pristiq, effexor, milnacipran and duloxetine. Alike lexapro they are antidepressants and have good efficacy in anxiety and depressive disorders.

The paranoid ideation is another term for word paranoid which you used in your query. It means referring to self.

I hope this clarifies.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 21 hours later
How should I taper off 5mg of lexapro. Was making me feel very paranoid
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be stopped immediately

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

Since the reason for tapering down is intolerable side effects and the duration of use is too low (3 weeks) and you have used only lowest possible dose it can be stopped without any tapering down.

In case you feel that the withdrawal symptoms will be too intense to handle I will advice you to go for 2.5 mg for a period of one week and than stop it altogether.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks and regards.

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist