Suggest treatment for severe ear pain

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Woke up in the night with ear pain (left ear), it feeling plugged and "popping" feeling like when you're landing in a plane. I took ibuprofin and put cold compact on it. Ear is producing a discharge containing blood. Not currently painful, alone or to the touch. I have had a cold for the past couple weeks. Last week, my right ear was plugged, but cleared up in a couple days – no pain or discharge. I have a cotton ball currently in the ear. Upon removal it shows a little discharge on it. (63-year-old male)
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
though not hurting now, should be checked to rule out infection

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Ear infections can occur along with cold, this would have then caused the discomfort that you were experiencing.

The pain relief may be due to the ibuprofen or may mean that the ear drum has ruptured.
When the ear drum ruptures then the pain goes because it was the pressure or fullness of the ear drum that was contributing to the pain.

You would need to be assessed by your doctor, the ear needs to be examined and a course of antibiotics would be needed.

The plugging sensation in the right ear can also occur with cough/colds and is usually due to eustachian tube dysfunction. The eustachian tube is found in the ear and connects it to an area at the back of the throat. It has different functions including helping with the pressure in the ear.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions