Suggest treatment for severe ear pain

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Ear hurting (very sore,all 'round,hardly able to chew food,brush teeth,apply facial cream on area near left ear ect.) In agony throughout..had toothpaste all over my hands/fingers,when (fighting to open a new tube)then noted bubbles(was in bath)going in my ear,wanting to wipe off but had toothpaste all over my fingers,got a blob of it into ear. Wanted to shower it out,but likely just flushed it deeper into ear canal. Was a cold sensation only first,pain & sore feeling started later the same day,got worse the next day &even worse on this day today. Have I caused possible damage?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no cause for worry.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. There is no permanent damage to the ear canal or ear drum expected with toothpaste.

2. Irritation from prolonged skin contact and damage while trying to remove it or flush it out yourself are the likely causes of pain.

3. Get an ear examination done by an ENT Specialist who can inspect the ear canal, remove any residue of toothpaste and prescribe medication.

4. Routine medication (after cleaning the ear) will include anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic medication and, sometimes, ear drops. Take an OTC painkiller if required after food and do not delay ear examination.

5. Since this is a rare incident, kindly let me know about the resolution of the ear pain.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 27 minutes later
Thank you very much Sir,for prompt reply. No,of course I was planning to see the g.p. after the weekend. This occurred on Friday,later in the morning and this really bad pain that I can almost not eat started today when I woke up. It first started to feel somewhat uncomfortable in the evening on Friday. On Saturday morning (yesterday) it was feeling like a spot or some sort of sore feeling tension in the ear.not really deep inside,more near the outside of the ear. Because it was irritating I used my husbands otex drops(I thought the slightly oily substance might cleanse out any paste remaining) it was not until this morning that I started to have really severe pain(I don't think painkillers would do a lot, ibuprofen and the like I can't take because of my stomach,cocodamol doesn't seem to have any sort of effect on me for some reason and I'm not fond of meds in general) I will notify you of the outcome(maybe it just subsides anyway after a while,I was only worried I possibly did damage the ear) I appreciate your swift answer, have a lovely evening Medea
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. There is no fear of a permanent damage to the ear,

2. Get the ear examined and cleaned by an ENT Specialist as soon as possible.

3. In the mean time, a single dose of painkiller with an antacid after food will help.

Regards.