Suggest treatment for severe ear infection

Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Can petechaie come and go ? My daughter had strep and later and ear infection .. 3 weeks ago we noticed the red dots . Our dr said it scarlatina but it doesn't have a sandpaper feel . She got a shot and 10 days antibiotic and in 2 days they were mostly gone but are coming back today onmlegs and feet .
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Petechiae

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question.
I agree, without the sandpaper feel it was likely not scarlatina.
However, any viral or bacterial illness can cause petechiae. I would watch this for another few days. If you notice the petechiae increasing, or is they continue to come and go, mention it to your doctor. It would be worth a blood test, specifically a CBC, to make sure everything is OK. A normal CBC, with a normal platelet count would be reassuring.
Follow up: Dr. Eric Goldstein 4 hours later
We had a CBC a week ago and everything looked great . She had been on antibiotics for ear infection for 3 days at the time of the CBC not sure if it would make a difference . Her dr put her on a different antibiotic for scarlatina and a shot of Rocephin .. helped with the red spots after 48 hours but she still has some .. so CBC looked good about 2 weeks after petechiae was noticed .
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
That sounds great. Very reassuring.
Might be worth repeating, however, if they continue.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana