• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe ear congestion

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hey doctor,

On the 16th of XXXXXXX 11 days ago now my ear became blocked a day after I caught a cold. The cold is now long gone I was fine by the start of last week but my ear is still blocked is this normal? I visited my doctor and he said it can last for weeks after the cold but I'm not sure if it's ear wax or etd it's hard to tell. I've tried decongestant, antihistamine and nasal sprays which have done nothing so I'm not sure if it is maybe ear wax or not. It doesn't really hurt there's just this feeling of pressure in my ear along with ringing/tinnitus and it's a lot harder to hear out of my right ear my left ear is fine though. Should I wait a bit longer to see if it will clear or maybe get my ears syringed just to rule that out?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer:
Consult an ENT specialist after 3-4 days as there may be fluid inside.

Detailed answer:

I have read your query and understand your concern. Your problem is typically a case of blocking of eustachian tube and this happens typically after a bout of cold.
Eustachian tube is the tube which connects your back of nose to the ear.
Normally such congestion in eustachian tube goes away in 2-3 weeks.
If it doesn't go by that time,then you must consult an ENT specialist,
He may perform an ear pressure test which can detect the presence of fluid in the tube.
In case fluid is present,then it can be drained.
wait for 3-4 days and see whether symptoms resolve or not. Try swallowing ,yawning and chewing gums to open your tubes in the mean time.
If not, then go to ENT specialist.

I hope it helps, however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 29 minutes later
I've already tried everything swallowing, yawing, chewing gum etc but nothing has worked so far. Its been 11 days now since it first became blocked so you think give it another 3-4 days to see if it clears u? Is there anything I can take for the pressure that it causes, the ringing or blocked feeling that makes it harder to hear? XXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 12 minutes later
Just wait for 3-4 days more and keep doing what you are doing.
Nothing else which I can ask you to do.
If doesn't go away in next 3-4 days then go to ENT person.
Thanks
Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta