Suggest treatment for severe dysentery

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: i have been having severe dysentry since yesterday - had been passing a watery acidic discharge about 7-8 times since yesteday (triggered probably having by masala peanuts with beer). Have been feelng very weak, with body pain and mild feverishness, Had taken DOLO 500 for fever/body pain
Have taken 3 capsules of ELDOPER yesterday and another one this morning. It hasslightly subsided,but when I eat or drink something, I feel the urge to pass stool which again is watery.
Only intake I had since yesterday was some curd rice, sagoo-porridge with curd, barley water, tender coconut water, and electrol twice.
Kindly advise any alternative medicine, if necessary, and what diet I should have to regain some energy and sleeplessness. I have no other ailments or allegies.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Symtoms suggestive of infection, antibiotic requir

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

You are probably suffering from diarrhea. Dysentery is passage of loose stools mixed with blood.
The symptoms of diarrhea, weakness, fever, and body pain suggest a Gastrointestinal (GIT)
The medication that you are taking- Dolo (Paracetamol) will relieve the body pain and fever.
Eldoper will provide symptomatic relief and decrease the quantity of stools passed, however, if GIT infection is present, then the drug will not help to clear the infection.
Antibiotics will be required in such case.
However, advising you to take any antibiotic I would advice you to get a stool test- routine and microscopy to look for evidence of infection.
In the mean while you can continue with paracetamol as and when required for fever and body aches.
Take light home cooked food like you are already taking for enery and plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration.
Let me know the stool report when you get it done for further management.

Thanks
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D