Suggest treatment for severe dry skin on legs

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello I have SERIOUSLY DRY SKIN. The main problem is my legs, they are extremely ashy and are like crocodile skin "not really". a dr once told me that its eczema but would like a second opinion and any suggestions on treatment.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eczema, fungal infection or psoriases

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HCM to post your question,

Let me ask you some more questions, to clarify for a secure diagnoses.
Do you have the dry skin only at the knee level, or have it in other parts of the skin too?
Can you send me a picture so I can have a look?
Also, for how long have you had it and have you tried anything on it?

It most probably its eczema but if its very thick patch, in other parts of the body and you have had it for a long time, then we should also consider Psoriasis.

Can you tell me your age and gender? Have you had family history of eczema or psoriasis?

Another option is also to be a fungal infection. But depends on weather you have it in other parts of the body, and where it is localized.

Please, kindly answer the questions above, and I will be happy to share my thoughts with you about it.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 20 hours later
Hi im 26 male, and had it a few years now like 0 yrs
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible eczema but may need longer treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hello again dear,

Thank you for asking a follow-up question.

It doesn't look like a fungal infection nor as psoriasis. So, the most possible option is eczema.

I would suggest to try a mild steroid ointment for 2 weeks and see if its helpful.

On the other side, if you have had it for many years, it may need longer then usual to get to normal skin, but at least you should see some improvement.

Avoid doing hot showers, because it dries the skin.
Use moisturizing cream after it, and scrub creams, which will remove the dead, extra layers of skin.

Hope this helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D