Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

164 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for severe dry skin on legs

Answered by
Dr. Klarida Papaqako

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2010

Answered : 1616 Questions

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello I have SERIOUSLY DRY SKIN. The main problem is my legs, they are extremely ashy and are like crocodile skin "not really". a dr once told me that its eczema but would like a second opinion and any suggestions on treatment.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eczema, fungal infection or psoriases

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HCM to post your question,

Let me ask you some more questions, to clarify for a secure diagnoses.
Do you have the dry skin only at the knee level, or have it in other parts of the skin too?
Can you send me a picture so I can have a look?
Also, for how long have you had it and have you tried anything on it?

It most probably its eczema but if its very thick patch, in other parts of the body and you have had it for a long time, then we should also consider Psoriasis.

Can you tell me your age and gender? Have you had family history of eczema or psoriasis?

Another option is also to be a fungal infection. But depends on weather you have it in other parts of the body, and where it is localized.

Please, kindly answer the questions above, and I will be happy to share my thoughts with you about it.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 20 hours later
Hi im 26 male, and had it a few years now like 0 yrs
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible eczema but may need longer treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hello again dear,

Thank you for asking a follow-up question.

It doesn't look like a fungal infection nor as psoriasis. So, the most possible option is eczema.

I would suggest to try a mild steroid ointment for 2 weeks and see if its helpful.

On the other side, if you have had it for many years, it may need longer then usual to get to normal skin, but at least you should see some improvement.

Avoid doing hot showers, because it dries the skin.
Use moisturizing cream after it, and scrub creams, which will remove the dead, extra layers of skin.

Hope this helps.
Take care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Dry skin

doctor1 MD

About 5 weeks ago my husband came home and started scratching all over his body. Then about a week later I started to have the same problem. We started using Eucerin skin calming itch relief cream and it seemed to help but then we both would start...

doctor1 MD

I developed a rush on my penis Can you recommend a cream that would be affective for that?

doctor1 MD

hello doctor, which soap is best in the market to maintain rich skin tone and get a satisfactory refreshing feeling?

doctor1 MD

My pcp checked me for hernia last week then referred me to a surgeon. I had hernia surgery 2yrs ago, where the surgeon used mesh to repair the hernia. My pain is on the same side as my first hernia. The surgeon checked me today and felt there was no hernia, and ordered a ct scan in avfew days. He seemed concerned though with my pain and it's location. The pain is directly over my first surgery site, it's deep and aching and travels down in my right testicle. I feel very nevous about what it could be, if it's not hernia. Are there any concerns of a mass or tumor or cancer? Is that why he ordered a ct scan? Also I've had 2 spinal fusions L4-S1 and a spinal stimulator implant in the last 3yrs. Any chance this issue could be related to my back issue? I'm 33yrs old... My apologies for all questions, but I'm concerned this is something more serious than what I thought...

doctor1 MD

For the past 2 plus years I have had a flat red rash that starts on my neck and works it s way around the whole of my neck. It becomes hot, sore, and can be there for days. When it does go down I can pull little bits of skin off - a bit like sunburn . It s appearance looks a bit like I have been burnt. The skin can become taught. It can come and go on it s own accord. It normally starts when I feel my neck tingleing and some timed it can be itchy - quite itchy when it s completely around the whole of my neck. The doctors haven t been able to advise what it is and just tell me to moisturise it.