• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe dry lips

Posted on Sat, 1 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello doctor,
This is XXXX, I am battling with severe dry lips for the past two years and have used Vaseline since the past two months I have stopped Vaseline as everybody including the dermatologist whom I personally met said that it is not good to apply so much , they then suggested sebamed lip balm I have only started , I also had some allergy sort of thing two months agofor which the doctor gave hydrocortisone acetate cream and medicine after which it went off , now for the past one week I am haveing severe peeling dry lips and for the past two days the left vermillion border of lower lips I could sense some dryness and the sensation feels like that of a fissures but I could not find any fissure line , I have attached pictures please take a look and let me know what should I do I am terribly scared of herpes for which I have taken tests from different labs six months ago and the results were negative , I di not share my food nor my tumbler plate , I have not kissed any one I always wash my hands before touching my lips most of the time , please help
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use lip balm

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for the query and photographs.
You just have dry lips, It's not herpes so don't worry about that.
You can use a scrub based lip balm which hydrates the lips as well as exfoliate the dead skin.
Such lip balms are available in stores like marks and XXXXXXX
Dry lips is not a disease but a type of skin.
You need to try various products and see what suits you.
You can try out the marks and XXXXXXX lip balm and see the results.
Try to relax yourself, as I mentioned it's not a disease so you don't need to worry much.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 37 hours later
Hello doctor,

Thank you for your reply I just went to a parlour half an hour ago where I did my eyebrows and chin , I usually buy my own thread each time I go but let them use their scissors , today while she was doing my eyebrows accidentally her hands brushed across my lips , I am so scared that I might catch any infection though when I checked her fingers I couldn't possibly see any blisters or anything as such still I am scared , please could you tell me how is herpes passed also how could I be cautious , I have attached few pics please do take a look
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are safe

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow up and photographs.
Your lips don't show any signs of herpes.
Infection spread by the use of common towel or by kissing.
It can spread through hands only if there is a fresh blister on hand.
Just relax you are safe.
Thank you.
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 45 hours later
Hello doctor,

Thanks for your reply, however my concern is for the past week every now and then the left vermillion border becomes extremely dry and flaky if any try to exfoliate with water and earbuds the dry part comes off but then for the next few days it feels like there is a cut over there more like a fissure and whenever I try to stretch my lips that particular spot feels dry( it feels annoying ) I have attached pics please t let me know what to do it's very annoying and scary
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dry lips

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow up and photograph.
It is just dry lips.
There is no infection.
You need a hydrating and moisturising cream.
Just try and see marks and XXXXXXX lip balm.
I have few patients who claim it to be helpful.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergic condition

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the photographs
You have bit redness even on cheeks, suggesting that your skin is bit allergic.
Probably your lips are getting dried and craking because of that.
Allergy is not a disease which can be totally cured.
Your skin make up is like that.
You need to try moisturiser and lip balm which suits you.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist