Suggest treatment for severe dry cough despite taking bronchodilators

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have adult asthma for most my life (I am 68) I live in michigan that is experiencing off the charts heat and humid air that I am not used to. I have IV-IG once a month for low IG levels. I am coughing but a dry hard to loosen mucus. Unlike me, O2O level are running 87 to 94, Quite rapidly. No temp. no sinus infection, no wheezing. My normal o2 levels around 96 Really all I want is sleep but cough dry cough as soon as I lye down. I am using inhaler (rescue) and breathing treatments every 4 hours a very tight cough.
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You should take controller inhalers as well.

Detailed Answer:

Hello XXXX,

Thanks for posting your query on HCM.

You have not given the details of your asthma treatment. Are you taking only rescue inhalers?

I suggest you take some anti allergics like montair lc and controller inhalers like symbicort 2 puffs twice a day.

Take a mucolytic agent like a mucinac tablet 2 to 3 times. Take nebulization with duolin and budecort respules and some times with only saline. These measures will help in loosening the sputum which then can be coughed out easily.

Avoid cold and dry air and also avoid smoke and dust.

If there is no improvement, I suggest you visit a local pulmonologist who can have a look at you and advise you accordingly.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar