Suggest treatment for severe dizziness while on Lamictal and Nyquil

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I am weaning off Effexor XR 37.5 mgs in hopes of trying Parnate or another MAOI. I have opening the capsules and taking half the beads for 7 days. There was some dizziness but that disappeared. For the last 3 days, I am fine in the morning until I take the effexor, along with 50 mgs Lamictal, and then I get extremely tired and foggy.
I have a cold so I am also taking Nyquil at night and claratin during the day. Could the two be reacting with each other or is this a function of taking effexor at a lower dose?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I think it is claratin

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all I like to inform you that low dose of effexor is not associated with any effects which cause tiredness and foggy feeling. I understand that withdrawal of effexor causes some symptoms but those symptoms tend to improve when effexor is administered and there is no question of worsening or new onset of symptoms.

Among the number of medications available I feel Claratin is most likely cause as it causes feeling of tiredness and brain fogging. This happens because the claratin acts on histaminic receptors and blocks them which are essential for your activity and alertness.

I hope this assists you.
If you have more questions I will be glad to assist you further.
If you do not have more questions, please close the discussion and if possible rate the answer for my future patients.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad