Suggest treatment for severe dizziness and nausea

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 7 Apr 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Ydesterday wife had attack on extreme dizziness: room going round, and door appeared on wall. Later she was nauseated and vomited for an hour. Now she is experiencing headache. Is this ER stuff or acute vertigo? Gait seems no different, and no difference with vision.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vertigo is most likely condition, ER evaluation still necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Attack of vertigo ( benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, Ménière's) is most likely condition to consider in your wife's case, however ER evaluation about conditions such increased Intracranial pressure, brain mases, stroke, etc. is necessary even to exclude them.

Brain imaging studies take an important role in this situation.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad