Suggest treatment for severe dizziness and headache

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am 26 years old female. I started having lightheadedness and it was there for a week and when I went to doctor they ruled out ENT reason and asked me get mri of brain done. MRI is completely normal. but after few days of MRI I started having headaches, I am not able to find a pattern. it's not during any specific time, sometimes it increases in evening n sometimes it stays throughout. most of the times I face pain around forehead and back of my neck. It's there futon past 2 months but has reduced in last month. Also I have sensitivity to certain frequencies of sounds, not everyday though. some days. I was wondering what could be the reason? also should I re do my MRI? i don't have any hearing loss.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Appears to be migrainous headache.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX pes,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

The symptoms which you have mentioned appears typical for a migrainous headache. Migraine symptoms increases on exposure to sounds,are episodic/intermittent in nature and may be associated with lightheadedness. Also, pain at the back of head and neck is likely a component of tension type headache(TTH).
So, it appears to be purely a primary headache syndrome-possibly an overlap of migraine and TTH. MRI coming normal further confirms the same. There is no need of a fresh MRI.

A typical prescription which may help is-
1)Tab. Amitriptine 10 mg 1 HS.
2)Tab. Propranolol 40 mg OD
3)Tab. Sumatriptan/Naproxen 1 sos

Please take medicines under the guidance of a physician only.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 7 hours later
thanks doctor for your reply. I got MRI done when I had lightheadedness and not headache. after some 1 week of MRI I started having headaches. I will have headache for 15 days a month from last 2 months. Especially more headache when I have sensitivity to sound of certain high frequencies like honks. Should I not worry about any major diseases?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Its appears to be Migraine only.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX pes,
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Your further details go in favor of Migraine, as the closest diagnosis.I hope you will respond to 'antimigraine treatment'. MRI being normal further supports the diagnosis. As MRI is normal, it rules out any major structural brain disease.

Hope that helps.If you have further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)