Suggest treatment for severe dizziness and fatigue while on Thyronorm

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: dizziness after taking 12.5mcg thyronorm,feeling week through out the day,visited Dr XXXXXXX B Iyer Neurologist,for my neutological problem,also tested for Hypo thyrodism and results showed,8.26,was prescribed to take 12.5mcg Tyronorm daily,and consult after three months with TSH tests,recent TSH tests indicate,3.49 and hemoglobin count is 11gm/dLalso I have complaint about my RT foot ,(Pitting Adeama)
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
More details required.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. I need to ask you:
* How long have you been on thyronorm (thyroxine)? Although occasionally dizziness has been reported as a side effect of thyroxine but is not quite common. Moreover, unless you are planning for a pregnancy, if you have not been on thyroxine earlier, the TSH level is acceptable and does not need to be treated with thyroxine.
* How long have you noticed the swelling of your foot? Is it only localized to one foot?
* I would request you to get your blood pressure checked. Please let me know the finding.
* Please get your liver function test done and share the reports with me.

Based on the above I would definitely guide you further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 29 minutes later
I Have been Taking Thyronorm 12.5mcg since three months,also the food swelling and pitting adeama is since 15 to 20 days and it is localised to one foot only
Blood Pressure Checked and is 120/80,also liver function test was done three months back and the findings area as follows
Bilirubin (Total)- 0.5mg/dL
Bilirubin Dirct- 0.2mg/dL
Bilirubib indirect- 0.3mg/dL
SGOT/AST - 19U/L
SGPT/ALT - 14U/L
Alkaline Phosphate(SAP)-59U/L
Total protein -7.2g/dL
Albumin - 3.8gm/dL
Globulin -3.4gm/dL
A:G Ratio -1.1
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You do not need thyronorm unless you are planning for a pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

You did not mention if you are planning for a pregnancy. Unless you are planning for a pregnancy you need not take thyronorm.

If you did not have the edema while you got your liver function test done three months back, I suggest you get it repeated once again. It would have been great if you cared to mention how long you have had the edema.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 41 minutes later
sir I an not planning for any pregnancy and the leg adema was there before I had undergone the liver test but it was both feet then and now it is centralised to left foot alone and the pain in my heal is severe and originating unto my Pelvic region,do you suggest me to stop taking thyronorm and also I shall consult my regular physician and ask if I had to go with the liver test again
Brief Answer:
Clinical examination required

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

Feel free to discuss with your treating physician about stopping thyronorm.

About the swelling of feet, since it was already there prior to your getting the LFT done, there is no requirement to repeat it. A clinical evaluation is required in order to find the cause. I would suggest you to get yourself clinically examined when you visit your doctor. He would be able to explain you the possible cause for the swelling of your foot.

Let me know if I could help further.