Suggest treatment for severe diarrhoea

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hi, I've had explosive diaherria every morning, for the past 20 days. I''m starting to feel weak'
and have been taking immodium for 20 days. What's gong on???
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need stool sample to check for type of infection

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Diarrhea (3 or more loose stools) can be acute or chronic. It is acute if it lasts less than 4 weeks, if it lasts longer than this then it is chronic.

Since your diarrhea has been going on for 20 days, it would be called acute. The most common cause is infection though there are other causes as well.

A stool sample to the lab would be important. This can identify if an infection is present, can pick up what is causing the infection to see if antibiotics are needed.
In most cases antibiotics are not needed but since it has been going on for such a long time period, then you may need some.

The weakness would be due to loss of fluids and electrolytes. These need to be replaced with oral rehydration solutions or sport drinks such as gatorade.

The causes other than infection are : (1) irritable bowel syndrome,
(2) side effect of medication,
(3)high thyroid hormone levels
(4)lactose or other food intolerance
(5)inflammatory bowel disease

Summary: (1)infection is the most common cause, after 20 days, a stool sample to the lab is needed for further information

I hope this helps. feel free to ask any other questions