Suggest treatment for severe diarrhea
Could be due to irritable bowel syndrome
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Your complaints could be consistent with irritable bowel syndrome. I would insist you to visit a doctor and to get evaluated.
You may benefit from the following dietary changes:
* Eliminating high-gas producing foods. If you have bothersome bloating or are passing considerable amounts of gas, your doctor may suggest that you cut out such items as carbonated beverages, vegetables especially cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower and raw fruits.
* Eliminating gluten may lead to improvement in diarrhea symptoms. Wheat, barley and rye are gluten containing foods.
* Eliminating FODMAPs. You may be sensitive to types of carbohydrates such as fructose, fructans, lactose and others, called FODMAPs (fermentable oligo-, di-, and monosaccharides and polyols).
You can benefit from the following types of medicines:
* Over-the-counter medications, such as loperamide (Imodium), can help control diarrhea. Some people will benefit from medications called bile acid binders, such as cholestyramine (Prevalite), colestipol (Colestid) or colesevelam (Welchol), but these can lead to bloating.
* If you have diarrhea and abdominal pain without depression, your doctor may suggest a lower than normal dose of tricyclic antidepressants, such as imipramine (Tofranil) or nortriptyline (Pamelor). Side effects of these drugs include drowsiness and constipation. SSRIs, such as fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem) or paroxetine (Paxil), may be helpful if you're depressed and have pain and constipation.
* Antibiotics. Some people whose symptoms are due to an overgrowth of bacteria in their intestines may benefit from antibiotic treatment. Some people with symptoms of diarrhea have benefited from rifaximin (Xifaxan), but more research is needed.
* Counseling. You may benefit from counseling if you have depression or if stress tends to worsen your symptoms.
Let me know if I could help further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Severe diarrhea post dinner recurring condition treatment
- Cefdinir severe diarrhea
- Severe diarrhea vomits abdomen pain any treatment
- Causes of severe diarrhea
- Treatment for severe diarrhea
- Symptoms of Severe diarrhea i
- How to cure severe diarrhea
- Zoloft and severe diarrhea
- Severe diarrhea need treatment worried about kidney function
- Treatment and cure for Severe diarrhea i
- Suggest treatment for severe loose motion
- Is there any cure for degenerative mucoid cyst associated with...
- Suggest treatment for chronic severe diarrhea and stomach pain
- Does Klonopin of a different brand cause any adverse reactions?
- What causes unusual sweating?
- Suggest treatment for joints pain in a person with IBS
- What are the side effects of Superglue injection?
- Suggest remedy for excessive dryness in mouth
- Is restarting of Casodex advisable after stopping it?
- Suggest treatment for severe constipation