Suggest treatment for severe diarrhea

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My wife has experienced severe diarrhea attacks ever 30 mins for the last 5 hours
She has taken Imodium and pepto bismol with no relief
What should she do?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Imodium can be repeated till 8mg doses.

Detailed Answer:

Most likely it's due to gasroenteritis because of food poisoning .Infectious organisms or their toxins can contaminate food at any point.Our gut consists of its own environment of micro organism called gut flora(Good bacterias).They are responsible for proper digestion of food.Once this flora is depleted by toxins released by bacteria causes symptoms like bloating belching vomiting loose stools etc Leading to inflammation of gastro intestinal tract clinically termed as Gastroenteritis.
Upto 8mg of imodium can be given safely in 24 hours,As you have not mentioned the dose given by you;You can repeat it(for immediate control of loose stools).
A short term course of antibiotics can be considered if stools are postive for bacterial or protozoal infection(As prescribed by your Gastroenterologist)
Apart from that would suggest you to take a good probiotic for 3 days. This will help the good bacteria's to replenish again. Once the flora is replenished intestinal motility and secretions will be improved.
.Give her a lot a lot of fluid and electrolytes,If possible one glass of orange juice or electrolyte solution should be taken after every stool.
Most of the time Gastroenteritis is self limiting and takes 3-5 days to settle down.Keep monitoring her pulse and blood pressure after every stool.If blood pressure systolic(upper) is less then 100mm of hg and pulse is more then 110/minute take her to the nearest emergency,get a ultrasound abdomen done,And get antibiotic intravenous shots with fluid resuscitation.

Hope i answered your query well,If you have any other question feel free to ask.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D