Suggest treatment for severe diarrhea

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am in the third day of an absolute diarrhea illness. Not sure how long this will last but it does seem to be easing a bit. Other than hydrating and resting, is there something else I should be doing? Am I still contagious to others?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Gastroenteritis is usually self limiting.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,
Have seen all your details and i appreciate your concern.

You are having symptoms of Gastroenteritis. It is a condition in which due to either viral, bacterial or protozoal invasion intestinal mucosa is inflamed causing symptoms like Nausea, Vomiting, loose stools, abdominal cramps etc.

However its not necessary that all symptoms are always present. Usually, gastroenteritis is self limiting and settles down in 5-8 days by itself. However if it's bacterial or protozoal, antibiotic therapy should be taken for 5 to 7 days. I would suggest you to go for stool routine and microscopy test to find out if its bacterial or protozoal infection.

Suggestion-

Ultrasound abdomen should be done to rule out other problems like intussuseption which mimics gastroenteritis symptoms.

A stool Routine and Microscopy test should be done to rule out bacterial or protozoal infection.
Start taking probiotic twice daily for few days, Probiotics are rich in good bacteria's which assists digestion of food.

Apart from that, take Metamucil or Fybrogel twice daily for few days.
Take lots of Yoghurt, and food rich in Lactobacilus.
Antibiotic therapy can be started after stool investigation.
To control frequency of Diarrhea Imodium 2 mg should be taken twice daily for 2 days.

Yes you are contagious to others. So don't share your edibles with other people.

Hope, I answered your query.
Feel free to ask further.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee