Suggest treatment for severe diarrhea while having IBS

Dr. Amit Jain

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I suffer from irritable bowel syndrome, purely diarreah (4-5 times/day), no constipation, My doctor says, following a colonoscopy, that I have diverticulitis symptoms, but no other colon issues that he can see. I have acid indigestion every day, which is helped a little by nexium and also antacid pills. However, I am in constant discomfort, but no sharp pain, from my intestines. Is ther anything I can do to reduce my daily discomfort?
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
take ilaprazole instead of nexium

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thanks for putting your query in HCM. I am aGastroenterologist.

For acidity I will suggest you to take ilaprazole instead of nexium half hr before breakfast as it is more potent and efficacious and longer acting than nexium. Avoid tea coffee fatty and spicy meals

For loose stool take tablet rifaximin thrice a day it is gut antibiotic which acts only in gut with no systemic absorption so no side effects. Take a course of probiotic. Among probiotic I prefer saachromyces boulardii. Along with hyoscamine take tablet mebevarine 200mg half hr before meals twice a day. Avoid milk. If still not relieved then take antisecretory agent like racedrotil 100 mg twice a day.

I hope I have answered your query and tgis will help you. Wish you a good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
I looked on your website (webmd) but could find no data on Ilaprazole there. Am I spelling it wrong? Please help! Thanks very much for your help. Rick Browner.
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
spelling is correct

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back and sorry for delay

Spelling is correct. Search it on google.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana