• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe diarrhea and blood in stool

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am 77 years old and have had diareea for a month the doctor gave me some pills didn not help tests said i have blood in my stool but after amonth of this i do not need a colonostmy. I need strength and to knoew what to eat.

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
When was your last colonoscopy done?

Detailed Answer:

With bloody diarrhea for a month, I will strongly recommend that you get a colonoscopy. It is extremely important to make an accurate diagnosis and treatment. If the last colonoscopy is more than 5years, I will say pick on this. In addition, you should get stool analysis looking for possible infectious causes. On another note, review your diet and make sure there is nothing that might explain this. In the meantime, drink much water to avoid getting dehydrated.

I hope this helps and guides. I wish you well and feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 20 minutes later
I only hab blood in the stool once not all the time and it was probally from cleaning so much. you like my doctors missed the question how can i get strong again.

I have been trying to get strong for 3 months
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
We need to get this diarrhea addressed to get you back strong!

Detailed Answer:

If blood has been just once, then a colonoscopy isn't too indicated.

You feel weak because of increased fluids and electrolytes loss. The best way to get you back on your feet is to get this diarrhea stopped. I will suggest that you get tested for c-difficile, stool exam and analysis for infections and any symptoms. As soon as the cause is identified, only then can guarantee a complete cure from this. For now, increase your fluids and electrolytes intake, get some rest and get these tests going.

Let me know if this helps and kindly share the laboratory investigations results with me.
Dr. Ivo Ditah