Suggest treatment for severe depression

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Mental Health
Question: Hi,
Beginning in 2012, I began dating a man (from match.com) who, Unbeknownst to me, was diagnosed with Schizophrenia while in a psyche ward from psychotic break as a result of girlfriend breaking up (he was also married with wife of 25 years and 2 kids same time). During our dating, he was feeding me seroquel in high doses saying it was sleeping pills...in a nutshell, I experienced horrible side effects shown on this site and suicidal thoughts...quit my job after receiving teacher of year award at a state college...I wound up having to live with him...he was a control freak, didn't work, and I felt a prisoner with no where to go...I began drinking and smoking to escape...after his tracking me on line, phone, keeping me in gated community and accusing me of sleeping with anyone that looked at me...pushing me to more psychiatrists getting me on more antidepressants in high doses...I was diminished, gone....when his behavior escalated, I took my dog and ran and lived in car for 4 months...no where to go. I have not been able to handle life since...I have always been strong, independent, but can no longer process material as I used to handle over 160 students in English Lit...can barely handle 13 now and am leaving that part time position...will I ever be the same??? Cannot focus, depressed, and often suicide thoughts enter my head being so alone...and lost after all that has happened...help....
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seroquin may not have such long lasting effects

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
Well the seroquin that was feeded to you might not persist for this long. Only if the doses were very toxic and they have led to some irreparable brain damage. More so it appears that you are having depression. Depression can occur with regular stress and it can also occur biologically without any stress as well. You need proper treatment for the same. There are various effective therapies for depression like fluoxetine, venlafaxine, bupropion, mirtazapine or escitalopram and they are all very effective and mostly safe. You may also require some benzodiazepines like clonazepam or lorazepam for a short period like 2-3 weeks to reduce the anxiety and help with your sleep.
If you are averse to the drug therapies then there is also an option of cognitive behavioural therapy. This therapy is taken by either a psychologist or a psychiatrist in which the therapist identifies impaired cognitions (Thoughts) and try to correct them. They are 15-20 min weekly session and there should be around 8-10 sessions to help you with your illness.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T