Suggest treatment for severe depression

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Depression
Question: Hi Dr. Grief my husband is taking so many antidepressant and nothing is working he is just getting worse, he says he's to depressed to think about killing himself. He had to have his thyroid removed about 10 years ago. He is on 250mg synthroid, 900 mg Lithium, 300mg Seroquel, 30mg Propranolol, 100mg Lamictal, 3mg Ativan, 300mg Budeprion, plus Coreg 50mg Cozar 100mg, Lopressor150mg, Glucopophage 500mg, and last Lipitor 10mg. He sleeps all day can't work can't leave the house and he is not doing well at all. Do you think he is on to many anti depression meds???? they just keep giving him more Please help me if you can, Thank You
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes too much, needs management

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
Life with out a thyroid is difficult and he h's alot on his plate. Plus his routine and lifestyle is worsening it. Until and unless he gets it right and corrected and get some psych rehab things will get worse. Suicidal thoughts will be an issue till then. He is on too much for sure. And a good psychiatrist will never do that.
He needs more than medicine a good balanced lifestyle , some cognitive behavioural therapies, vocational recreational and rehabilitational therapies and some good psychotherapy supporting sessions.sign him to some group therapy too.
Get him to a psychiatrist for dose shuffling and get him out of the house and show him the beauty of this world . life is too short to be wasted .He can do it. You can make him do it.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Regards XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 12 hours later
Should he go in the hospital to get the Med under control? Or go back to his Psychiatrists?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
psychiatrist it is

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me
Yes he should go to the one who prescribed the meds.doscuss the options other than meds we talked about and let them decide what is best for you. A psychiatrist it is. Rest medications like diabetes etc are mandatory and they can not be shuffled.
Just psych rehab is the key here.
I hope it helps.
Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 49 minutes later
Thank You so much for your help!!
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
:)

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome miss XXXX
Please don't forget to close the discussion.
Regards XXXXXXX