Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for severe depression

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 3614 Questions
Hi Dr. Grief my husband is taking so many antidepressant and nothing is working he is just getting worse, he says he's to depressed to think about killing himself. He had to have his thyroid removed about 10 years ago. He is on 250mg synthroid, 900 mg Lithium, 300mg Seroquel, 30mg Propranolol, 100mg Lamictal, 3mg Ativan, 300mg Budeprion, plus Coreg 50mg Cozar 100mg, Lopressor150mg, Glucopophage 500mg, and last Lipitor 10mg. He sleeps all day can't work can't leave the house and he is not doing well at all. Do you think he is on to many anti depression meds???? they just keep giving him more Please help me if you can, Thank You
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes too much, needs management

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
Life with out a thyroid is difficult and he h's alot on his plate. Plus his routine and lifestyle is worsening it. Until and unless he gets it right and corrected and get some psych rehab things will get worse. Suicidal thoughts will be an issue till then. He is on too much for sure. And a good psychiatrist will never do that.
He needs more than medicine a good balanced lifestyle , some cognitive behavioural therapies, vocational recreational and rehabilitational therapies and some good psychotherapy supporting sessions.sign him to some group therapy too.
Get him to a psychiatrist for dose shuffling and get him out of the house and show him the beauty of this world . life is too short to be wasted .He can do it. You can make him do it.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for severe depression 12 hours later
Should he go in the hospital to get the Med under control? Or go back to his Psychiatrists?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
psychiatrist it is

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me
Yes he should go to the one who prescribed the meds.doscuss the options other than meds we talked about and let them decide what is best for you. A psychiatrist it is. Rest medications like diabetes etc are mandatory and they can not be shuffled.
Just psych rehab is the key here.
I hope it helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for severe depression 49 minutes later
Thank You so much for your help!!
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome miss XXXX
Please don't forget to close the discussion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor