Suggest treatment for severe depression, inattention, poor concentration and fatigue

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I have been being treated for severe, recurring depression for 3 years. My Kaiser psychiatrist has me on Lexapro (20 mg) 1x a day and Xanax (.50mg) 3x a day. The program no longer seems to be working. I am developing narcolepsy and a bad ability not to focus or get tasks done. And my depression at times seems to be worsening. My brother ( a USC trained anesthesiologist) believes I am actually in a part of the ADD spectrum that would best be treated with Adderall. NOT the meds I am currently taking?
email: YYYY@YYYY (numeric zero) THANK YOU
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Severe depression can mimic symptoms of ADHD -- inattention, poor concentration, and daytime fatigue are all actually symptoms of undertreated depression. I would not prescribe Adderall in this case because it wouldn't help with the underlying problem, which is the depression. I would recommend either increasing the Lexapro dose to 25mg or 30mg daily, or considering switching to a different antidepressant such as Zoloft, Effexor, or Pristiq.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad