Suggest treatment for severe dandruff
Welcome to healthcare magic.
I understand from your query that you are having dandruff problem from last 3 years which is not responding well to treatment.
Dandruff is a condition caused by a yeast like fungus. This yeast is normally present on the skin and scalp of all individuals. In some people, the yeast tends to overgrow and from colonies which cause flakiness called as dandruff.
When you use an antifungal shampoo ( like Scalpe which contains Ketoconazole), the yeast gets suppressed and thereby the dandruff improves. However, once you stop the antifungal, the colonies slowly form again. Hence, you must understand that dandruff can be "maintained " or " controlled" but not "cured" completely.
After 35 years of age, once the oil gland activity comes down, dandruff will also improve in some individuals.
I would like to have a few clarifications-
1. Does the condition improve when you are using the above mentioned shampoos or does it not respond to the shampoos at all?
2. Do you have scaly patches or is it powder- like scaling all over the scalp?
3. Is the scaling confined to your scalp or do you see patches coming over your forehead ( hair line) as well?
Another possibility we have to consider in cases of unresponsive dandruff is a condition called as " Sebopsoriasis". This has a component of psoriasis in addition to dandruff. Hence, it will not respond well to the antifungal shampoos alone.
Please get back to me with the clarifications so that I can assess better.
Dr. Johny Chacko
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Severe dandruff with wounds treatment
- Suggest treatment for dandruff in my eyebrows
- Suggest treatment for hair loss and dandruff
- Suggest treatment for recurrent dandruff
- Severe dandruff treatment
- Suggest treatment for hair fall and dandruff
- Severe dandruff itching thinning hair suggest treatment
- Natural treatment for severe dandruff
- Suggest treatment for pimples caused by dandruff
- Suggest treatment for hairfall due to dandruff