Suggest treatment for severe dandruff and itchy scalp

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Hi

I am having Dandruff, splitends ,itchy scalp & excess of hair loss Problem from last 2 years. I never had these issues ever. I have tried different shampoos & home made solutions for this. But not yet get any satisfaction result.

Thanks
Posted Sun, 10 Dec 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Remedy for dandruff, excess hair shedding and split ends

Detailed Answer:
Hello. thank you.

I am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist and Venerelogist). I have noted your concern.
Dandruff is an important cause of scalp itching and excess hair loss. Controlling dandruff effectively would relieve itchinv and also reduce hair shedding.
I suggest you to use a coal tar and salicylic acid based shampoo e.g Protar lotion or Salytar lotion. Use it on alternate days. Lather it well on to wet scalp and leave it on for 10minutes before rinsing it off.
In addition you may use a topical steroid lotion for overnight scalp application for 2 weeks e.g Mometasone furoate 0.1% lotion or Clobetasol propionate 0.05% lotion. Thereafter just continue with the shampoo.
Split ends are a sign of dry, damaged hair and may result from frequent combing. You may use a wide toothed comb.
Also use a conditioner after shampoo e.g Triflow conditioner or Loreal conditioner. Apply on wet hair for 2-3 minutes and then rinse it off.
These are all prescription medications and I suggest that you talk to your local practitioner for a prescription regarding the same.