Suggest treatment for severe dandruff and hair loss

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 20 Feb 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, I've a history of dandruff. I've used many medication but after giving up medicines, dandruff comes back again and again. Also, I'm suffering from hair loss. It's mainly from front and mid section.

My doc told me to get Insulin checked and the reports are : fasting insulin 10.36mU/l PP: 13.34mU/l

Acc. to him my insulin are high and he has prescribed me fluecort forte lotion and acnonac tab. Please help me out with dandruff problem.Also I've acne on my back.

Once I had propecia and Follihair with minoxdil and got amazing result. What should I do ?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Remedy for dandruff and androgenetic alopecia

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

I am sure the flucort lotion is for dandruff. You may continue with its application, 2x daily for 2 weeks. In addition I'd suggest you to use a coal tar and salicylic acid based shampoo on every alternate days e.g Ionax T solution Or Protar Lotion. After you stop flucort lotion after 2 weeks, you must continue with the shampoo i.e either every alternate days or twice in a week as a maintenance therapy.

As far as hair fall is concerned, you seem to have androgenetic alopecia which is characterized by hair loss and thinning mainly from the front and vertex part of the scalp. There is frequently a family history in other male members of the family.

Minoxidil and Finasteride (propecia) are US FDA approved remedies for androgenetc alopecia in males. I'd suggest you to restart with these.

One ml of Minoxidil 5% solution should be applied twice daily on clean and dry scalp skin starting from the center of scalp and moving outwards. In addition you must also take a tablet of finasteride 1mg once daily. Finasteride inhibits the enzyme 5 alpha reductase (in hair follicles) and prevents further miniaturization/ thinning. Treatment is long term and preferably life long.

For acne on back you may use benzoyl peroxide 5% gel, twice daily (Benzac- AC 5% gel)

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Thanks for your suggestions. I was also taking a tablet of follihair on alternative days. And what about the side effects of finestride. Is taking it for a long time have any consequences.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Finasteride is safe and approved for use in male pattern hair loss

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Finasteride is US FDA approved for androgenetic alopecia in males. It is to be used long term. There are no side effects with finasteride although it may cause a transient decrease in libido in 1-2% of individuals but that usually subsides with continued treatment.