question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe dandruff and hair fall

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017
Question: Hello Dr
Lots of dandruff usually develop within very short duration of time. I use Head & shoulder shampoo on weekly basis.
Due to dandruff my hair has fallen down much.
Pl suggest what to do and how to improve further hair.
XXXXXX
XXX
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney (25 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Management of dandruff

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to use a ketoconazole shampoo twice weekly and apply a lotion containing combination of beclomethasone and clotrimazole on the affected areas of the scalp twice daily.
If there is associated itching take antihistaminic like tablet levocetrizine 5 mg once daily at bedtime.
Once your dandruff improves you can stop with the lotion but continue using shampoo for a long time as otherwise the dandruff will recur.
For hair loss I would recommend you to take hair supplements like tablet keraglo men or tablet follihair once daily for 3-4 months.
Dr Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist