Suggest treatment for severe coughs and sharp pain in the abdomen

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: After a bad bout with deep coughing for a few days I get sharp pains in upper abdomen. when I cough or move wrong, its not a constant pain.
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be cough fracture or strain of muscles and soft tissues.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Sometimes after a deep and forceful cough, A person may strain his soft tissues like muscles, ligaments, cartilage etc. There may even be a crack fracture of one of the ribs. This is called cough fracture. But what was the cause of the cough? Do you suffer from asthma or COPD or it was only a bout of bronchitis? I hope it has subsided now. For the pain you may take a painkiller and take rest. It will be alright soon. Consult your PCP for the cough as continuous coughing will make the pain worse and delay healing.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D