Suggest treatment for severe coughs and pain in the back

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My wife, 62 years old has had a range of flu symptoms for the past three weeks. For the past week, she has severe coughing spells, which is resulting in pain from coughing in her back,
she is on a neubulizer, steroids, and keeping her up through the night. Chest exray indicated fluid in the bronchial tubes.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
She needs diuretic drugs.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on HealthcareMagic.
I can understand your concern.
By your history and description, possibility of heart failure is more in your wife's case.
Fluid in bronchial tube, night time worsening cough, not able to sleep etc are signs of heart failure.
This might be left or right heart failure. So she needs 2d echo to confirm this.
She is also a needs diuretics for symptomatic relief along the without current medicines.
So better to consult her physician and discuss all these.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your wife. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy