Suggest treatment for severe cough

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: My 62 yr old wife starts coughing until she almost chokes, and than sneezes very hard, and is usually okay for awhile after that. Checked for allergies, none , endoscopapy negative. I saw an article in web me about 9 yrs ago and it said a gasterontoligst cured a woman of this this usually starts with a bite of food, again no alregies, both she and cannot stand this anymore. Going on for 15 yrs getting worse now. Sometimes it will. Just start and she almost chokes until a hard sneeze. Help please!!
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need a thorough respiratory evaluation first as follows

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the health situation your wife is in.

Taking into account her personal history, if I was her caring doctor would advise an immediate consultation with pulmonologist.

Respiratory function test (spirometry) to evaluate her respiratory pathways.
To my opinion, her respiratory problems have not been managed well, so need to evaluate what her actual status is in order to prescribe appropriate treatment.

Hope it was of help.
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 5 hours later
I just thought, she also has a constant dripping nose and crap running down her throat. Sorry I didn't think of this earlier.

In a WEB MD article about 9 yrs ago, someone had written in with the same issues about the coughing until choking and the hard sneeze, and a gasteronoligist had found a cure for here. Any other ideas? I did not cut out the article and now wish i had. It was a fall issue 9 or 10 years ago.

Thanks,
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I couldn't find the article;perhaps related to stomach issues as following.

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

To your information, when it comes to coughing, we are focusing on various causes:
- lungs
- blocked airways
- cardio-vascular
- medications
- stomach

We do exclude pulmonary issues first through X-ray of the chest, pulmonary function test. Then, we proceed in excluding other factors.

Regarding the article of the gastroenterologist, I am sorry I did not find the article. The cure that was mentioned might have been related to stomach issues. Upper endoscopy is requested to evaluate the upper GI and stomach morphology and function. H.pylori test is also recommended.

Once the real culprit if found out, we can proceed with proper treatment.

Taking into account her history of colon cancer, and that the endoscopy was run five years ago, I advise to repeat re-evaluation testing and endoscopy again to exclude cancer relapse as her coughing is not getting better.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana