Suggest treatment for severe cough

Posted on Sat, 4 Oct 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Doctor,
My wife is having coughing several times a day for last 4 - 5 days. She is not having running nose or cold as such. Just coghing all day and night so I got her a cough syruph 2 days back but still no releif as such. The cough syruph is "Boots Mucus cough relief- 150ml" . We are in UK so here I could get what is available here in UK. So, Please suggest what I need to do...
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Upper respiratory tract infection

Detailed Answer:

From the description provided by you, I understand there is no sputum production and you are travelling. The most common cause of continuous non productive cough could be due to Viral or bacterial infection as there is change of environment.

I would like to know whether she is suffering with sore throat, difficulty in swallowing or any other symptoms along with cough. Does she have any history of allergy or asthma? Does she have any difficulty breathing?

Follow these instructions which will help in improving her symptoms:
1. To consume boiled water only.
2. Avoid any cold and refrigerated food items.
3. Oral Lozenges like strepsils or XXXXXXX whichever is available there.
4. XXXXXXX warm salt water gargling twice or thrice a day.
5. Actified dry cough syrup 2tsp three times a day which is available over the counter in UK.
6. Antibiotics might be required, if it doesn't improve by 3 days after following the above mentioned instructions.

Hope this answers your query. If any further clarifications, will be happy to help you.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Ashwin Bhandari