Suggest treatment for severe cough with chest congestion

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Tue, 19 Jul 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: HI i have had a cough for for four months now it sounds like i have alot of mucus and congestion. I dont feel sick but it will not go away. It comes and goes. Some days its worse than others.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely due to allergy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM

I have gone through your query. Your problem can be most likely due to allergy. This can be from some thing you expose like dust or internal allergens like acid reflux.
If cough is continuous then it is better to rule out tuberculosis by doing sputum AFB test.
If it is any known allergens like dust or pets or cold air you are exposing to then avoiding such exposure is the best management.
You can also take antihistamines like cetirizine daily. If that is not working then taking combination of antihistamines like Levocetirizine and monteleukast for long term will be helpful. This is a prescription drug.
If you have acid reflux or gastritis that should be controlled by taking proton pump inhibitors like Esomeprazole (Nexium). You can get this as over the counter Taking this for 4 weeks will be helpful to clear it.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.