Suggest treatment for severe cough while on Mucinex

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My husband was prescribed Methylpred pak 4 mg ,his diagnosis was phargix toncillitis (Mispelled) and he seems to cough more
In addition the arithomax and mucinex
he does not want to take the methylpred
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Methylprednisolone

Detailed Answer:

I imagine that he was prescribed these things because of a throat culture that was positive for strep throat?

The methylprednisolone is a steroid that will decrease inflammation. It will not kill the bacteria that is causing his tonsillitis. Decreasing the inflammation can help him swallow better if he was not able to do so before.

If he is not having problems with swallowing or excessive throat pain, he probably can do without the Methylpred. But please keep in mind that I have not examined him - I am just saying this based on what methylpred is used for in situations like this.

The other reason methylpred might have been prescribed is if he also has bronchitis and is having difficulty breathing.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.