Suggest treatment for severe cough and tight chest

Dr. Achuo Ascensius

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have had an unproductive severe cough for the past week that keeps getting worse. Chest is tight and difficulty sleeping. I do not smoke
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Persistent non productive cough calls for concern

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query,

Cough is a symptom and when it is abnormal, there is an underlying cause/disease. Your cough doesn't appear normal especially given your age and most likely there should be an underlying cause.

Pulmonary causes (from the lungs) of non productive cough include simple viral infections, allergies,irritations by tumors etc. For viral origin, usually there is a history of common cold. In case of tumors, there is associated weight loss.

Other causes of non productive cough could arise from the heart ( example Heart failure, pericarditis etc) or oesophagus ( gastro-oesophgeal reflux disease).

Mucinex DM does not cure nor will it give you much help as you have already noticed.

The worsening of your cough makes it severe and requires that you should be seen by a doctor. A few tests could be requested amongst which a chest x-ray.

Hope i have shed some light. If you have further query, i will be glad to respond.
Best regards
Dr Achuo
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari