Suggest treatment for severe cough and flu

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I just got over the flu, heavily conjested, a lot of mucas, cough .... last week.
Then yesterday I woke up to 2 canker sore and my right side of my throat swollen with a big red ball about 1/4" and I can barely swallow. I have tons of flem coming up it is clear for the most part. Yes I am a smoker however I am unable to smoke with this

I was recently very sick with the flu and a heavy cough, thick dark mucus for 10 days. I seen my Dr. for that and he gave me steroids, cough medicine and prescription strength Advil. I was good for about 3 days and then I woke up with 2 canker sores inside my mouth and my right side of the throat has a 1/4" bright red, very painful bump. I have no fever, I'm not tired actually full of energy and I'm hungry. I can barely swallow and when I do it hurts its been 1 1/2 days. I have used chloraseptic, lozenges, Theraflu, Alka-Seltzer and cough drops. I have not been able to drink much or eat.

Thank you for your expedient response.

Please let me know if there are other remedies
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics may help

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query. As per your history you seem to be suffering from lower respiratory tract infection. Bacterial infection and viral infection or medicines, any of them could have caused the canker sores.

If I were your treating doctor, I would have first clinically examined you, confirmed my diagnosis, and then prescribed
-penicillin antibiotics + clavulunic acid combination drugs for 5 to 7 days.
-Multivitamin supplement for canker sores.
-Mucolytics with antihistamines combination drugs twice daily for 5 to 7 days to reduce the phlegm. -Anti inflammatory medicines like paracetamol 500 mg + diclofenac 50 mg combination drugs twice daily for 3 days to reduce the pain.
-Expectorant cough syrup 10 ml thrice daily for cough.

Most of them are prescription medicines, so I would advise you to consult with the doctor and get evaluated properly. Hope my answers have helped you. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana