Suggest treatment for severe cough and fever

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I woke up this morning with thick mucus an cough. I have a prescription for keflex an amoxicillin. Didnt use. Dr ordered different medication a few months ago. Feel awful.can I take either one of these to help. Since it's Saturday an one one is in the doctors office
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cough suppressent and an expectorant

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, keflex or amoxicillin are antibiotics. they are used for bacterial infection. you should take them only if you develop fever. for cough with thick mucous, you can take a cough suppressent as dexomethorphan and an expectorant as mucinex. try to drink plenty of fluids to prevent mucus from getting thick. I hope I answered your question
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy