Suggest treatment for severe cough and ear pain

Dr. Remy Koshy

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: hi doctor ,
last 2 days I am feeling too much discomfort while sleeping due to -
One nose is totally closed or block.
I am having cough also when I cough I feel some pain in ear too.(like some water in ear) seems throat infection as I do not feel good while swallowing.

while cough sometime bulgum comes from mouth.
Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
upper respiratory tract infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for visiting HealthcareMagic,

I have gone through your query and you seem to have symptoms pertaining to upper respiratory tract infection mainly acute pharyngitis and eustachian tube block.

If I were your treating physician, I would suggest you to do the following:

- An antibiotic comprising of combination of amoxicillin and clavulinic acid to be taken for a period of 5 days.

- Steam inhalation thrice daily

- Saline water gargle or betadine gargle to be done 3-4 times daily.

- avoid soaking your ears while bathing.

- consume hot bland food, just to avoid further throat irritation

It should resolve in 3-4 days.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to discuss further or else kindly close and give your feedback.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Remy Koshy 11 minutes later
once a day ? how much mg
Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained below..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back,

The antibiotic should be ideally taken twice daily for a period of 5 days. The dosage available is amoxicillin 500mg + clavulinic acid 125mg (625mg in total). This is available in brand names like T. AUGMENTIN or T. AMOXICLAV. As this is a prescription drug, I would suggest to get it prescribed by a doctor.

Hope this helps.

Follow up: Dr. Remy Koshy 4 minutes later
oh so I have to visit doctor first. I thought buying it . I saw one attached with message
Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up,

I have seen the attached picture.

You seem to have got the right medication. You need not see a doctor for a prescription now. You can start with this medication if you do not have any history of allergy to this medication before in the past.

As this is the general protocol in the forum to advise the users to get antibiotics prescribed, I have done the same.

I hope I have answered to the query.