Suggest treatment for severe cough and cold

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Tue, 4 Oct 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello,
I was ill in July with a terrible cough/cold. The cough lingered. It's now impacted my breathing and my energy. I'm tired all the time and can't sleep well. I went to Urgent Care today. The finger monitor showed my oxygen was 98%. Doctor examined me and she said she feels it's allergies. (I've never been told I have allergies, I'm 38. I understand that doesn't mean I haven't developed them now) She wanted me to try a combo of meds before sending me for a chest X-ray based on what she said she saw in my throat and nose. She said I have a lot of post nasal drip. (I've never really payed attention to it but yes, it is there) She prescribed levocetirizine. She also prescribed benzonatate for the cough.
I took the benzonatate and it made me feel so loopy and odd and sleepy. I also was coughing again within two hours. I read on the prescription brochure not to take it with other antihistamines (I was told this was for cough not an antihistamine so not sure why it's worded that way) because it and another antihistamine that causes drowsiness shouldn't be taken together.

So I didn't take the levocetirizine at bedtime because the information on both drug info brochures said don't mix with other drowsy meds.

Can these be taken together?

Is levocetirizine effective for labored breathing and cough?

I do not have a runny nose, itchy eyes, sore throat... I don't have anything that to me signals allergies that I can read it is supposed to help...

I have breathing discomfort, a slight wheeze, and a cough w mucus that won't go away. Those are my only symptoms other than a general feeling of being run down and just worn out.

* she did prescribe an inhaler for the wheeze but it's not ready until tomorrow.

I hesitate to take meds that I don't seem to have symptoms it treats and two that both cause drowsiness and states don't take two that cause drowsiness...
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
To my knowledge, they can be taken together.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.
To my knowledge, it is ok to take benzonatate with levocetirizine, it does not interact with benzonatate. However, if you do take these two medications together you may have an increased effect of drowsiness because they both tend to cause drowsiness on their own and in combination they could cause an increased effect. As I would have advised you not to drive or do activity which require high degree of alertness.
Difficulty in breathing might be related to the allergy, which will be taken care by levocetirizine. In addition to it inhaler will be helpful.
Hope this helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj