Suggest treatment for severe constipation

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 in General Health
Question: I have been having a very full feeling now for three days. Can’t eat very much before feeling full. I also have had constipation for 4 days. Been having pain in my right side and in back in right shoulder. Been feeling sick and weak. Have had gas but no bowel movements. I have been feeling bad now for about two months. I am normally a very healthy and active 60 year old female. I don’t smoke or drink, never have. I have been diagnosed with anything from uti to possible kidney stones. I have been given augmentin and keflex but I seem to keep getting worse instead of better.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See next

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thank you for your query. I am Dr. Rommstein, I understand your concerns and I will try to help you as much as I can.

Well, I don't see how antibiotics can help with constipation and all other symptoms that you mention. Antibiotics may help with enterocolitis but it won't help if there are no symptoms of infection.

In your case,there may be just benign constipation and first, you should try with changing lifestyle and dietary habits. You need to increase fiber intake. Good fiber sources include XXXXXXX and other whole grains found in cereals, breads, and brown rice, vegetables such as brussels sprouts, carrots, and asparagus, Fresh fruits, or dried fruits such as raisins, apricots, and prunes Beans.

Second, you may at times need to try a laxative such as Fleet Phospho-Soda, Milk of Magnesia water.

If there won't be improvement, you should do colonoscopy to rule out some more serious disorders.
I hope I have answered you query. If you have any further questions you can contact us in every time.
Kindly regards. Wish you a good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D