• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe constipation

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Dr. XXXXXXX
You assisted with some extreme constipation issues that I had a few weeks ago. I went to my GI and have had a breath test performed, but, still have yellowish constipation. They could not perform fecal because so inconsistent with bowels. I am taking miralax daily to make sure that I can move bowels, but, still have IBS. What is best course of action? Try to do fecal next?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear patient,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I am a Gastroenterologist and would be answering your query.
As per your query answers are-
Constipation is actually not a disease rather its a sign given by nature that there is some problem between mind and gut coordination.
You last contacted me on XXXXXXX 11th.Before going for any further suggestion i would like to know whether you have followed things suggested by me?
If not then-
Keep taking Miralax.
Apart from that just follow the below mentioned two things-
1)Start taking Metamucuil 2tsf(its better if you can order natural pysillium husk online available as name "Isabgol") once daily before going to bed every night with half a cup of XXXXXXX warm water.It contains a natural husk called pysillium. When this husk reaches intestines it imbibes water and swells up.These swelled up particle binds stool pieces together hence cause bulking of stools.It is very effective in constipation treatment.Secondly these swelled up particles would press stools forward(intestine has limited space so trying to accomodate these swelled up fibers intestines would push stool particles forward hence impacted stool would be thrown out.

Secondly start taking probiotic twice daily. VSL#3 twice daily is a good probiotic to start with. Probiotic are spores containing good bacteria's.These bacterium plays a very important role in complete and proper digestion and evacuation of food.

So By following these three thing we are covering almost every part of digestion process which causes constipation or IBS etc.
Three XXXXXXX coverage is the best line of action for you-
1)Miralax-It irritates and stimulates the intestines hence help in evacuation.
2)Metamucil-Swells up and forces the stool particle outside toward rectal canal.
3)VSL#3-Takes care of digestion.
So in short you are digesting food after that increasing bulk of stool and then excreting it by help of laxatives.
Life style change-
Best one out of what is adviced you is,
Take one cup of Banana mixed with half cup of pears with on cucumber in breakfast.

Follow these 4 suggestions for 21 days and reply to me after that.This is the best course of action right now.
No investigations now its time for action.Lets see how you respond to things in 21 days.

I have just asked you to follow 4 points.No big theoretical answer this time.Hope you will take my advice.
Have patience remain calm have faith in yourself and your doctor and please don't google too much!Have faith in me.
Wish you a fast recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist