Suggest treatment for severe constipation

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello, I haven't been able to defecate effectively for around 3 days. Yesterday I could squeeze some out, but I don't know what's happening.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is severe constipation and needs prompt treatment!

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you!

Thanks for consulting at my virtual clinic. I have carefully worked through your case, and I can realize your health worries. Being your physician, I assure you not to worry as I will take care all of your medical concerns.

Possibility:-
It seems to be due to severe constipation and that has led to a state of Fecal Impaction in which fecal matter dries up to a point that it is hard to evacuate the bowels.

Causes:-
Dehydration
Some medications
Less dietary fiber in diet
Lack of physical activity i.e Sedentafy lifestyle.
More of a refined diet, processed foods, fast and junk foods.
Less Whole grains and nuts, vegetables etc
Less water intake than needed daily.

Management:-
Start with Glycerine Suppositories for adults. It will loosen up the stools and you will feel an urge to defecate after sometime.
Take syrup Lactulose at night.
Take Citrucel dietary fiber supplement with plenty of water.
Take Banana milkshake.
Start physical activity and jogging is best of all for you. Keep a judicious supply of water intake.
Take vegetables, salads and fruits more in diet.
Avoid beverages and caffeinated drinks.

Please answer some queries:-
Are you on some medications right now??
Have you tried some new foods??
Do you smoke, take alcohol??
Have you been outside for some vacation trip??
How active are you?
Have you seen any Blood in stools??
What was the color of the stools last time??

Hope I answered all of your health concerns . If you have further questions, feel free to contact me anytime. Always write my name in start of your question in future, and I will get back to you in no time. If satisfied, please give a five Star rating and don't forget to Close the discussion.

Have a wonderful time ahead.

Best Regards!

DR. XXXXXXX M. HANIF

USA
https://www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-muhammad-hanif/70199
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Hanif 59 minutes later
Hello Dr. Hanif, thank you for getting back to me. To answer our questions:

1. I'm on no medication
2. I'm not eating any odd foods
3. I do not smoke or drink.
4. Haven't had a vacation in a long time
5. I used to be very active, but as of late (past 4 months) I've been very sedentary.
6. No blood on stools.
7. I actually managed to defecate this morning, the color was dark brown.

I've always had great bowel movements, this is the first time this has happened. Is there any solution to this that does not involve going to the doctor and such? Would getting active again fix it?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is manageable as aforementioned.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for a follow-up. I am happy to assist you further. I appreciate your cooperation in answering my case history questions.

It seems you have not a serious issue and it can definitely be managed as aforementioned. You don't need any referral to Specialist. Just get started as I suggested and soon you yourself will feel the difference.

Yes of course getting active as I said jogging daily will improve the digestive tract motility and you will feel better. Keep a judicious supply of water intake while jogging and getting active. Right now for a couple of days take Pedialyte oral rehydration solution; and, it will fulfill the fluid and electrolytes deficiencies at a fast pace.

Have a wonderful time ahead.

Best Regards!

DR. XXXXXXX M. HANIF

USA
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Hanif 58 minutes later
Thank you Doctor Hanif. Do you mind a few other questions?

I just got back from jogging for an hour. It was good. Sometimes I get the feeling like I really have to go to the bathroom, but when I go there's nothing, or just flatulence. Is it just another sympton? When should I start worrying?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is just another symptom related to the others.

Detailed Answer:
welcome back!

I am always here to happily assist you for any doubts or health worries unattended. I appreciate you started jogging timely.

Yes, it is just another symptom of the same cascade of events for this recent problem with your digestive system.

What actually happens is, when we start physical activity, body takes its time to adjust to the new routine. The intestines get a new motility stimulus and you feel as if there is a defecation reflex. Actually your digestive system will get some time to kick back in to work optimally.

No need to worry at all. Just keep an eye that you don't get loose motions, blood in stools, undue pains in belly, vomiting, nausea etc. If you feel anything unusual, feel free to ask me anytime for prompt help.

Have a wonderful time ahead.

Best Regards!

DR. XXXXXXX M. HANIF

USA
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Hanif 38 hours later
Hello again Dr. Hanif, just giving you an update.

Yesterday I managed to defecate again, I should mention there are not big, they're about midsize, brown color.

I've also been feeling a lot of movement in my stomach. Not painful, just a lot of movement
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Movement in stomach is due to kick back in of the motility of the intestine

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the feedback and updating me about the latest situation. I am happy to see that you are getting normal and there is a midsize brown colored feces.

Regarding Bulk of Stools:-
Don't worry about the bulk. It will be back to normal gradually. Keep a balanced diet and follow all the instructions as aforementioned in detail.

Regarding Excessive Stomach movements:-
It is good to see movements. They are showing up the recovery phase and it is the aftermath of Severe Constipation. Now you have changed your lifestyle and that's too in a timely manner and quite well at a healthy pace. It has started normal movements of peristalsis along the intestines. Bets part is that they are not painful. If you feel discomfort, pain or any absurd feelings anywhere in abdomen, write it down to me anytime and I am always here to help you with the expert medical advice.

Now don't sit lazy, don't let your body dehydrated anymore and live a healthy life. You are too young to be sick. I wish best of health for you.

Hope I answered all of your health concerns . If you have further questions, feel free to contact me anytime. Always write my name in start of your question in future, and I will get back to you in no time. If satisfied, please give your generous 'five Star rating' and don't forget to 'Close the discussion'.

Have a wonderful time ahead.

Best Regards!
DR. HANIF
USA

Click the link to open my profile. Click 'Ask Me a Question' anytime for super fast expert medical help!!!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Hanif 3 hours later
Hello again Dr. Hanif! Just a few questions.

As I mentioned, there's been a lot of movements in my stomach. But it makes me feel full, and I don't know if I should just eat normally. Could you help me with this?
Brief Answer:
You should eat normally. No reason for not doing so.

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you!

As I mentioned earlier there is no medical concern with these movements. But as you are bothered by them so I definitely will add some medicine for you. ( You may need a prescription according to the local pharmacy rules)

Let me explain it in a different way to show how it developed and how to get rid of these movements.

I have seen a lot of my patients don't take proper, regular diet after such a disease as you had. They replied when asked, "we thought as if we will get indigestion if we take proper bulk of meals". And this is what is happening to you. Your stomach and intestines are receptive to get healthy bunch of meals.

Start taking food and I want to add a medication to support in your digestion and to keep the peristaltic movements of the stomach and intestine more at a regular pace. You will feel very calm and your appetite will also get to the normal level.

You may take 25minutes before the meals (3 times a day) Itopride hydrochloride 10mg and an Omeprazole 20mg by mouth only before breakfast. You will be Ok in no time with adding them to your treatment regimen.

Have a wonderful time ahead.

Best Regards!
DR. HANIF
USA

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj