Suggest treatment for severe constipation post acute stroke

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 13 Feb 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Advice how to deal with constipation post acute stroke and the development of Primary Raynaud's phenomenon after being placed on medication pst stroke including calcium channel/beta blockers when I also have Hashimoto's Thyroidosis?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Post stroke constipation treatment;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!

I have gone carefully through your concern and medical history.

Constipation is a common complication of stroke, found in about 60% of cases.

There are some criteria in defining it and it's severity and the treatment consists in using oral laxatives adding suppositories in more severe cases.

Of course a clinical examination is needed.

The most common treatment includes :

Senna 2-3 tablets at night plus Syp Lactulose 15 ml daily with instructions of dose titration according to ease evacuation. Instead of lactulose, fybogel 3 times daily with fluid may be prescribed if any history of diverticular disease or if weak anal sphincter.

The dose of Levothyroxine should be modified according to TSH level and your treating physician would see the possibility of removing beta blockers and adding the dose of Amlodipine or substitute it with Nifedipine to treat Reynaud's phenomen.

Hope i have answered your questions.
Wish you a fast recovery!
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee