• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe constipation and rashes on the torso

Posted on Thu, 16 Feb 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my son had to come home from bonaire in the carribean . He was severely constipated, lost weight, red dotted rash for about 36 hours on his torso, headache, dizziness, heart palpitations and fatigue. He continues to suffer constipation 6 weeks later as well as fatigue, lower back pain, his jaw tires from chewing and swallowing can be painful. He has been tested for STD's, thyroid issues, colitis and his stool has been sampled. what ever he has been tested for is negative. Initially his wbc count was low but has since recovered. He is avoiding gluten dairy fatty foods and sugar. He has his first appt with an infectious disease doc and a gastroenterologist on Feb 7 and 8th. what should he be asking at these appts and what are your thoughts
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Have noted all your details.
I appreciate your concern.

As reported by you almost all his investigations are normal,So most likely severe constipation is because of disturbed food habits during his excursion.Constipation may be a result of the depletion of Gastrointestinal flora .Gut flora is the complex community of microorganisms that live in the digestive tracts of humans,The intestinal microflora is a complex ecosystem containing over 400 bacterial species. Anaerobes outnumber facultative anaerobes. The flora is sparse in the stomach and upper intestine, but luxuriant in the lower bowel.Any thing which destroys this flora of gut can lead to various problems with digestive system including severe constipation.As the food taken is not properly digested there is weekness,fatigue,lassitude in patient.As far as red rashes are concerned they could be allergic or can be because of worm infestation.If possible please attach few photographs of the rashes.However i would advice you to go for a test called platelet counts,If that is normal,Then there is no need to worry.
I would suggest him to take a probiotic for at least 2 weeks along with a proton pump inhbitor like Pantoprazole 40mg once daily.He would feel much better within few days.A couse of Antihelminthic medication like Albendazole 400mg can be taken for 7 days(discuss with your G.P),To provide relief in constipation Syrup lactulose should be taken in dosage adviced by your G.P.
Get a ultra sound abdomen done to rule out any other pathology of abdomen.
Apart from medicines few other life style changes are adviced-
- 2Tsp of Isapgullu Husk should be taken by him once daily before going to bed.
- Increase XXXXXXX warm water intake
- Do not drink water during and after meals
- Eat small meals (rich in fiber),Avoid spicy,oily and heavy meals.
- Eat plentiful "fresh oranges" and "pear "
- Drink COLD milk and and AVOID junk food.
- avoid beverages / alcohol/ soft drinks
- do some exercise early in the morning
- avoid carbonated drinks
-Take lots of yogurt in food.

Question to be asked from your gastroenterologist are-
What can be the cause of problem?
How long will it take to resolve the problem?
Diet advice?

Thank you!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist