Suggest treatment for severe constipation and blood in stool

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Have been constipated for four days. BMs very hard, 3/2: BM hard & black in color. 3/3: BM hard , black, shinee and tar color. Took suppository @ 5PM Had c-def in hospital in 2015. What should I do.
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
To check for gastrointestinal bleed (black tarry stools)

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today.

Your description of the symptoms indicate blood in stools (clotted blood).

Would you clarify a few things for me, please?
*do you smoke or consume alcohol?
*what is your height and weight?
*do you have any other medical issues or take any medications?
*have you any surgeries?
*have these symptoms occurred before? How often and when was the last time
*do you have any other symptoms like abdominal pain, heart burn, bloating, vomiting, difficult /incomplete micturition, giddiness, palpitations, chest discomfort or breathing difficulty?
*any change in diet or water intake?
*are you on any supplements?
*were you on antibiotics when you got the C. Diff. Infection?, if so why?
*what is your activity level like?

I recommend:
-a physician /gastroenterologist consult right away to rule out gastrointestinal bleed.
-blood tests (complete blood count, clotting profile, electrolyte levels, kidney & liver function tests, prostate specific antigen)
-urine and stool analysis
-an endoscopy /colonoscopy if clinically indicated.

Based on this a diagnosis can be made and treatment initiated.

In the meantime :
-drink plenty of water (unless medically contraindicated by Coexisting illness)
-add natural fiber to diet (in form of whole fresh fruits and Vegetables, refined grains). Do this once the constipation is relieved this time. Till then, have a liquid, semisolid diet
-limit caffeine to a cup a day.
-avoid spicy, oily food.
-chew food well before swallowing
-walk for exercise, whenever possible.

Do it take another suppository without talking to/seeing your doctor first.

Hope this helps.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Hope you feel better soon.
Wish you good health.

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng